[IPython-dev] Why are stdout and stderr sent to /dev/null by default in kernels?

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 12:48:21 EDT 2015

I think we only do that when sys.executable is pythonw.exe, because the
pipes fill up and cause the subprocess to hang after 1k of output is
produced. We don’t redirect output to devnull in most cases.

In the IPython kernel, sys.stdout and sys.stderr are redirected over zmq,
which initially doesn’t get received by anyone, so rarely shows up in UI
(depending on frontend). If you want to see it in the terminal, you have to
use sys.__stdout__ and sys.__stderr__.

-MinRK
​