[IPython-dev] Is there a way to open a notebook via one click in tmpnb.org?

Kyle Kelley rgbkrk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 12:06:42 EDT 2015

Whoops, just realized I misunderstood your initial question Jason. Sorry!

There's not a way to bring in content from GitHub (or anywhere over the
network) from the hosted tmpnb.org because of network lock down. You can
pass anything you want in through JavaScript and file upload (as you're
doing by bringing the notebook in). This means that if there was any
integration between client side tooling, e.g. github.js (
https://github.com/michael/github), we could display all manner of things
from GitHub within the notebook environment. There's a strong demand for
this, including myself.

The starter for an endeavor like this (to do it the right way), would be to
write a client side contents service like jupyter-drive (
https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter-drive) whose backend was github. prose.io
already has a nice setup for simple editing using github.js and it's
surprisingly performant.

The missing piece, to me, is data and scripts being available. Considering
the notebooks and kernels behave with normal file system operations, it
wouldn't have knowledge of the rest of the repository.

Stuff to chew on.

-- Kyle