[IPython-dev] Jupyter/IPython for beginner

Brian Blais bblais at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 07:08:40 EDT 2015

The problem is with workflow, I find.  I use the IPython Notebook to
introduce programming, and run into this problem all the time, and it
does cause confusion amongst newbies.   The problem with the anaconda
launcher is that it opens the notebook in a default directory.  I
don't know about others, but I usually organize my projects by
folders, and don't want to point to a default directory - I want the
notebook to open in *this* directory (the one with the notebook file
in it).  I also don't want to have to navigate in the launcher, I'd
much rather navigate with the OS.  Thus, a double-click open would be
great.  I haven't checked nbopen (does it check to see if a server is
already running in that folder, etc..?) but it looks good.  I usually
ship a .bat file or .command file with something as simple as:

@echo off
ipython notebook

so that it starts in that folder.  It's still not as intuitive as
double-clicking the .ipynb file, which I think is the ideal.

bb