[IPython-dev] Proposal: soft moratorium on re-architecting for 5.0

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 00:17:14 EDT 2015

I think user fridays, or something similar is a great idea. We tend to do
our best work when we are *using* IPython most (I found a couple things to
fix while teaching  this week).  I also think stabilizing and focusing on
user features for a while is a good plan, and I think we can do that in
many parts of IPython/Jupyter (remember, there isn't going to be a single
IPython/Jupyter 5.0). Unfortunately, I think the client-side of the
notebook is not a place where we can afford to do that right now. I think
we need to almost start from scratch with that stuff notebook, in order to
enable the things we want to do with it.

Technically, we could do both:

- create a 5.0 branch, where we start over with typescript/phosphor
- continue to work on 4.1, 4.2, where we add these user-facing features
with the code in the state that it is.

This is actually one way that we can get more people working on the
notebook - some people working on features in 4.1, 4.2, while the 5.x
restructuring is going on. We don't need to follow the backports-only
pattern for minor releases we have done for IPython recently, which we do
in part due to our relative lack of developer time. In some ways, we are
coming into the opposite problem - too many people, not enough available
parallel work. I'm not saying it's necessarily what we should do, but it is
an option available.

-MinRK