[IPython-dev] [jupyter] Communications, mailing lists, gitter, etc...

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 04:11:50 EDT 2015

> On Jun 29, 2015, at 06:03, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I view the blog as being reserved for highly curated and copy-edited
> content.

I agree, though do you want to improve our communication or not ?
Do you think there is not enough content for one Post per week?

> That content is very time consuming to write and I don't want
> to discourage smaller one-way announcements by telling people that
> they all need to be blog posts.

The question is do you think spending 1h announcing things **correctly**,
is not worth the (potentially) infinite questions we will get after ?

> Also the blog serves a much difference
> audience - users - than a development focused mailing list.

Once again, this depends on the content of the dev meeting, and the things we want to put on the blog.

- Does the fact that we are going to SciPy matters ?
- Does the fact that we split the repo matters ?
- If we have any fundings matters ?

Theses are topics that will touch both user and dev, and that I see us putting on the blog.

The IPython user-ml and dev have been merge **because** the distinction user/dev is blurry.

> For
> development purposes, I don't see a significant difference between
> announcements and 2 ways communications. Here is another metric to use
> in deciding what is blog post worthy - do we want to tweet about it.
> Most things on the mailing list - even when 1 way - don't pass that
> test.

We are starting to write the notebook using phosphor, there is a hydrogen plugin for atom connecting to jupyter,
we are adding things to message spec, tartlets splits into tartlets and widgets tartlets are things I want to tweet about.

But what do actually subscriber on this ML thinks ?