[IPython-dev] [jupyter] Communications, mailing lists, gitter, etc...

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 04:53:18 EDT 2015

> On Jun 28, 2015, at 01:33, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The tools at our disposal are:
>
> - Our mailing lists (jupyter & IPython-dev)

According to our website we also push people toward:

- reddit/r/ipython
- the wiki.

> I don't want to dictate policy here, so I'll propose a rough first draft, to allow for discussion, ideas and fine-tuning:
>

> - We try to do a better job of communicating important ideas, questions, discussions, etc, on the project lists.  Let's encourage our users to do the same.  We also post key announcements more regularly here.  Everyone should really feel comfortable

**please** please, try to distinguish one way communication from discussion on the ML.
Announcement are hard to refer to to and google and the ML. Announcement are made for the blog.
If you don’t expect that response are key to communication, use the blog,
you can start a thread **About** a blog post, but [Ann] on ML hurt communication.

> - We stop pointing people to gitter as the *first* help stop.  We should point them to the mailing list (and? OR?) StackOverflow instead.  Having a non-archival medium be the first point of help means a vast amount of duplicated and wasted time helping people.

Yes !!!! I would also appreciate decreasing the number of SO tags.

> - The Gitter real-time help room and repo rooms can remain active but we try to maintain a discipline of using them only for when folks need the real-time collaboration.  If key decisions are made here, let's try to have a discipline of periodically posting a quick summary, even if it's just a very short one, to the mailing list, pointing out what happened.  In the long run, it will help us all better keep in touch with what the project is doing.

Also Yes !

> On Jun 28, 2015, at 08:04, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would add one point:
>
> When private conversations happen the participants post a short
> summary to the mailing lists or github. I think that remains one of
> the biggest communication challenges we have. Being geographically
> isolated from UC Berkeley, I know this first hand from both sides.
> There are times that the entire UC Berkeley team assumes Jon and I
> know about something when we don't. And I am sure there are times that
> Jon and I assume the Berkeley folks know things that we do. I also
> have many phone conversations that I don't summarize well to the rest
> of the team. In summary, I am as guilty as anyone on our team of not
> summarizing private conversations to the rest of the team and
> community and I want to work really hard to change this.

Yes, same with our dev meetings. Wee should take more notes.

> I would like to clarify which gitter channels we will use. Our current
> set still feels a bit scattered. I would prefer to have one main
> channel for each org and then only additional rooms for specific
> projects that are very high traffic.

We already said in hangout :

ipython/ipython
ipython/ipython/help

Per project if a project deemed it necessary. (like hub as lots of traffic)

+ local privates ones, like the one where we ping each other for lunch, but that’s not relevant is it ?