[IPython-dev] [jupyter] Communications, mailing lists, gitter, etc...

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:32:22 EDT 2015

Hi Tony,

> On Jun 30, 2015, at 04:45, Tony.Hirst <tony.hirst at open.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> A site I have found useful for keeping tabs on what's going on in the
> R-universe is http://www.r-bloggers.com/ which aggregates posts from
> approved feeds (eg I have an Rstats category feed from my more general
> blog on that I use to syndicate on topic posts into that context).
>
> Is there a similar initiative around the IPython ecosystem? (I've not seen
> one?)

Not really, I have seen the idea a few time, No one have put it in place.
We also probably need someone to take care of it, if there are abuses.

> I also keep wondering if more could be made of nbviewer? This could
> provide the basis of a regular round up post ("This week's notable
> notebooks on nbviewer”)?

> (On a side note, I've often wondered about how I migh tbe able to turn
> nbviewer into a pseudo blogging platfrom, eg by scraping
> http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/MYACCOUNT and producing a feed from it...
> In that respect, it would be really handy if I could tag notebooks and see
> the tags on that page (though a pseudo-tag could be hacked using eg
> tag:MYTAG in the description that could be easily retrieved.)

This might require a “persistence” on nbviewer, but right now nbviewer is stateless,
though, if you like to send PR and have ideas...

I use (sometimes) nikola, which can take a bunch on ipynb and make a blog from it on ghpages.
it (should) auto build on travis-ci when I push my ipynb repo.

And this solve one of the problem above about caching, as the rebuilt is triggered on Push and there is no need to scrape.