[IPython-dev] Applying arbitrary CSS to an IPython 3.0 widget

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 17:48:12 EST 2015

Hi all,

Does anyone have an example of how to apply CSS to a notebook widget in
IPython 3.0?  Old versions offered the set_css method, but that has been
removed in the latest version.

I see in the widget transition doc:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPython-3.0-comm-and-widget-migration-document

that set_css has been superseded by the CSS attributes (works fine for most
things, but not for obscure CSS settings) and the _dom_classes and _css
tuples (not dictionaries as indicated in the transition doc).  The latter
seems perfect, but it's not clear to me how to use these tuples.

Is there an example somewhere I can look at?

Thanks!

-Nathan