[IPython-dev] how to prevent spam, ddos, etc. from IPython notebooks

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:27:14 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:58 AM, William Stein <wstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, March 16, 2015, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> tmpnb (try.jupyter.org) takes a similar, if more restrictive, approach
>> to SageMathCloud. User containers simply have no network access. We should
>> probably adopt a strict whitelist of services like William has done.
>>

> Do people complain?

I think we've had a question or two, but not much that I'm aware of. Unlike
SMC, try.jupyter is really for doing quick demos of the notebook itself,
not a hosted place to do actual work, which I think results in a big
difference in expectations of what should be possible or allowed. The
network lockdown emphasizes that, as does the ephemeral nature of the
containers.

-MinRK