[IPython-dev] Slides on nbviewer!!!

Antonino Ingargiola tritemio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 17:37:47 EDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Nicholas Bollweg <nick.bollweg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I only have a minor request. Is there a way to disable the
> slide-to-slide animation, I (and some other colleagues) find it quite
> distracting?
>
> With the two-dimensional scrolling, I find that helps orient a bit, but
> yeah, the animation is pretty "cute".

Right, I just tend to do linear (not 2D) presentations, subslides maybe
useful for additional details showed if required by questions. So the
animation does not convey any information, and since is so fancy it is
actually distracting ;). And in the back of my mind, it looks like the
animation is a kind of unprofessional childish showing-off kind of thing.

> Short answer: No.
>
> Medium answer: Yes... IF you are hosting your own nbviewer, AND hack the
> underlying template slides.reveal.tpl.
>
> Long answer:  In addition to transition, reveal has a huge number of
> configuration options. I kind of doubt we'll make any UI on nbviewer to
> allow one to hack these at runtime, not least because reveal takes over the
> location.hash for providing anchors to slides.

As a first step I would like to disable the animation in livereveal/RISE, I
can live with the animation on nbviewer.I'll try to look into
slides.reveal.tpl, thanks for the pointer.

> We should change the nbconvert template soon to allow a raw metadata
> configuration of what you describe. This would still leave the power in the
> hands of the content owner, which is probably how it should be. However, we
> need to look at some notebook UI/UX options for getting access to all of
> the configuration features (might as well), which does present a bit of a
> challenge.

 Are you still referring to the animation or to the powerpoint/libreoffice
conversion here?

Antonio