[IPython-dev] Slides on nbviewer!!!

Antonino Ingargiola tritemio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 19:23:19 EDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Nicholas Bollweg <nick.bollweg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As a first step I would like to disable the animation in livereveal/RISE,
>> I can live with the animation on nbviewer.I'll try to look into
>> slides.reveal.tpl, thanks for the pointer.
>>

> Yeah, while the nbconvert template that will respect slideshow-level
> metadata (here
> <https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/IPython/nbconvert/templates/html/slides_reveal.tpl#L172>)
> needs to be changed in ipython/ipython, we should play with the UX in
> livreveal first.

link saved ;).

> Are you still referring to the animation or to the powerpoint/libreoffice
>> conversion here?
>>

> Was talking about the ability to do any kind of reveal configuration...
> hadn't responded to the powerpoint thing. But since you mention it...
>
> If we're talking about dreams, mine is to kill powerpoint :P

I was thinking like this a few years ago, doing presentation in beamer and
so on.  But then I found that in the every-day practice of presentations
(at least in science), you continuously do a mix&match work copying slides
from old presentations (yours and colleagues, and for many powerpoint is
the standard), fixing errors and annotating slides during talks and so on,
there is no much time for the slides, adding an arrow or a circle to
highlight something must be immediate. The powerpoint/libreoffice approach
here has an edge.

Right now I have 6 notebooks open with similar analysis on different data
files. I need to make a report presentation. Do you think I will make
another notebook? It is just faster if I dump everything (I mean figures
and latex formulas) in powerpoint and add just a few words for create a
logical story.

The notebook is fantastic tool to create another kind of presentations in
which you show in dept a computational process.

Aside from Pandoc, which is already available, there is python-pptx
> <https://github.com/scanny/python-ppt>, which could serve as a baseline
> for building an nbconvert formatter. Perhaps a smarter application of
> pandoc to the slides is the best bet to get to where you want to go... I
> would be very surprised if someone hadn't done this before!

Pandoc is powerful but close to impossible to install on windows.
python-pptx on the contrary looks a really interesting project, thanks for
mentioning it :).

Antonio