[IPython-dev] How to set state of widget in IPython3?

Mark Bakker markbak at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 07:51:28 EDT 2015

Hello list. I am trying to set the state of a DropdownWidget (Or
RadioButton) in IPython3. You didn't have to do that in the past, but even
if I specify the value, it gives me an error. Simple example:

This works:

def plot_line(c='b'):
    plt.plot([0,1],color=c)
interact(plot_line,c=['b','r','g']);

This works in IPython2, but not in IPython3. In IPython3 it passes c=None
to the function on initialization.

def plot_line(c='b'):
    plt.plot([0,1],color=c)
interact(plot_line,c=DropdownWidget(values=['b','r','g']));

Even when specifying the value, for example

def plot_line(c='b'):
    plt.plot([0,1],color=c)
interact(plot_line,c=DropdownWidget(value='r',values=['b','r','g']));

I get an error: KeyError: 'r'.

Any thoughts on how to set the state when creating a DropwdownWidget (or
RadioButtonWidget) using interact? Or is this a bug?

Thanks,

Mark