[IPython-dev] Spyre - interactive web apps

Nicholas Bollweg nick.bollweg at gmail.com
Fri May 1 01:04:46 EDT 2015

There's definitely a need for bringing rich data widgets to a more
stand-alone, hostable presentation format that is easier to use/deploy.

One approach to the latter problem we have taken is an SVG layout Container
which uses inkscape layer names to position (and size) widgets on the page
into shapes in the layer. This is very nice for going quickly from mockup
to reality for dashboards, but you still have to have the first cell get
executed on a vanilla environment. Combined with something like widgety
spyre, I could see this becoming a great way to create interactive posters
that had print-ready fallback: it's nice to work in a dedicated design
environment like inkscape for large-format production.

For the former problem, it seems like having a new app (nbposter, nbspyre,
whatever) speaking a kernel dialect which only implemented widget messages
might be the right level: the notebook cells are all executed, and the
resulting widget id state is "compiled" into something for a slick frontend.