[IPython-dev] ShellChannel.object_info equivalent?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed May 6 12:48:34 EDT 2015

Hi Dino,

On 5 May 2015 at 13:06, Dino Viehland <dinov at microsoft.com> wrote:

>  Is there a new equivalent to ShellChannel.object_info in 3.0+?  I see
> that there’s now a KernelClient.inspect that seems similar but it doesn’t
> return the information at the same level of granularity – previously we’d
> get back the doc string, args, var args, var kw, and defaults.  Now it
> seems like the reply just includes a textual representation without any of
> the information broken out.
>

> Is there any way to get the more detailed information?

No, object_info was replaced with inspect. We decided to replace the
structured data with text because a lot of the structured data was defined
in a Python specific way, and it would have been hard to make it all
language agnostic. What are you trying to use it for? We may be able to
work out another way to do it, or add back a limited amount of structured
information.

Thanks,
Thomas