[IPython-dev] Best practice of deployment for university courses

Ozan Çağlayan ozancag at gmail.com
Mon May 18 05:11:42 EDT 2015

Hi,

I installed jupyterhub on a server in my university. Here is my plan:
1. Create ~/notebooks folder in each home folder
2. Configure jupyterhub so that the logged-in users only see the
~/notebooks folder. The authentication will be through classical UNIX
credentials.

Now I want that each student has access to some course materials
through their ~/notebooks folder, e.g.:

~/notebooks/courses/MATH101
  - Lecture1.ipynb
  - Homework1.ipynb
~/notebooks/courses/PYTHON101
  - Lecture1.ipynb
  - Homework1.ipynb

etc. To be able to manage this, I thought that maybe I should create a
system-wide ipynb folder like /opt/notebooks, put the very same
hierarchy above inside it and make ~/notebooks/courses a symbolic link
to that folder. The problem is that the /opt/notebooks will only have
read permissions to regular users. Is there a mechanism to
fork/clone/save_as a notebook inside ~/notebooks once a student opens
a notebook from the read-only ~/notebooks/courses?

Thanks.

--
Ozan Çağlayan
Research Assistant