[IPython-dev] Deprecating the IPython Color* API & IPython Theming

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 01:02:31 EST 2015

Hello list,

TL;DR:

Who is relying on IPython.utils.Pycolorize.Parser, and other ColorAnsi functionality ?
I’m wondering if/how much deprecation time and backward compatibility is needed.
Are you using “Embed” in esoteric ways (like through pexpect/subprocess ?)
Please speak now.

Longer version

Hi all, I’m working on refactoring all the ANSI code handling of IPython[1].
Some code in here is more than a decade old, and have a lot a redundant code, which often now
is available with a better API[2] in libraries like Pygments.
This part of the code also deals with prompt formatting Because yes you can put CWD,
and date in IPython prompt if you like, and in color, and it is relatively annoying to keep compatibility with old and new API
at the same time.

So are any of you heavy users of the API in these region of the code base ?
If so can you point me at your usage, so that I could make the migration to the new API
easier in your use case ?

Also if you are using IPython-embed through Expect or subprocess and alike, the new ASCII escape sequence
might break previously made assumptions, I want to make sure these are not broken either.

Thank you for reading me until the end, here is a gif[3][4] of the potential new IPython themes as a reward.

--
[1] https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/8966 <https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/8966>
[2] well, mostly, the naming of ascii color is discutable.