[IPython-dev] Deprecating the IPython Color* API & IPython Theming

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 02:09:47 EST 2015

I hope you also take this opportunity to make it easier for people to
customize their prompts. You have to go through some silly hoops
(which IIRC aren't really documented) to make the prompt execute some
code every time it is displayed, which is necessary to do things like
put the date or cwd in your prompt. I also found it annoying that I
couldn't just inject something into some dictionary (I forget which at
this point) because in IPython's type system dictionaries are
immutable for some reason.

I also want to say that I'm stoked that IPython is finally getting
proper theming support in the terminal.

Aaron Meurer