[IPython-dev] IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

klo uo klonuo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 17:12:46 EDT 2016

Hi,

Congratulations on constantly introducing new horizons :)

I wanted to ask some questions about completions with newly introduced
prompt toolkit, if anyone is willing to drop by.

- When I invoke completion, dropbox shows modestly with 5 items. Is it
possible to set number of items shown to preferred value?

- Considering many themed terminals, is it possible to set the color of
completion dropbox?

- About my experience with this completion interaction... After I invoke
completion:
- I cant close dropbox with Escape, instead I have to type something to
hide dropbox, or move cursor back
- Further I can close dropbox by typing a letter
- Pressing Tab, causes cursor to jumps in dropbox and navigates the same as
down-arrow, which seems to me like unnecessary duplicate key assignment, as
I would expect Tab to actually auto-complete
- Once you jump inside dropbox you must accept some of suggested
completions, as your initial typing is irreversibly changed as you navigate
through completions
- Still inside dropbox, if you press Enter, what you have at the
command-line is immediately executed.

To compress above points, my shameless suggestion would be (more less
consistent with Notebook completions):
- Escape should close dropbox
- Typing while dropbox is open should just filter available completions,
instead close dropbox
- Simply navigating through dropbox should not automatically change my
command-line unless I press Tab on selected item (Enter should do the same
too, instead execution)

On a side note, I guess it is expected that current jupyter cant launch
this ipython console nor qtconsole.

Cheers