[IPython-dev] IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:08:13 EDT 2016

Hi Klo,

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM, klo uo <klonuo at gmail.com> wrote:

> - When I invoke completion, dropbox shows modestly with 5 items. Is it
> possible to set number of items shown to preferred value?

yes:
c.TerminalInteractiveShell.space_for_menu=<int>

> - Considering many themed terminals, is it possible to set the color of
> completion dropbox?

Likely Yes, but you need to define your custom style:
by grepping through PTK source I can find the following:

Token.Menu.Completions
Token.Menu.Completions.Completion
Token.Menu.Completions.Completion.Current
Token.Menu.Completions.Meta
Token.Menu.Completions.Meta.Current
Token.Menu.Completions.MultiColumnMeta
Token.Menu.Completions.ProgressBar
Token.Menu.Completions.ProgressButton
Token.Toolbar.Completions
Token.Toolbar.Completions.Arrow
Token.Toolbar.Completions.Completion
Token.Toolbar.Completions.Completion.Current

Then you define a Pygments Theme and it should "just work".

We need to write documentation about each of these, if you figure out
all the steps, PR would be welcommed.

> - About my experience with this completion interaction... After I invoke
> completion:
> - I cant close dropbox with Escape, instead I have to type something to hide
> dropbox, or move cursor back

good point, do you wish to open an issue ?

> - Further I can close dropbox by typing a letter
> - Pressing Tab, causes cursor to jumps in dropbox and navigates the same as
> down-arrow, which seems to me like unnecessary duplicate key assignment, as
> I would expect Tab to actually auto-complete

I think that using tab to cycle is common, but I might be wrong.

> - Once you jump inside dropbox you must accept some of suggested
> completions, as your initial typing is irreversibly changed as you navigate
> through completions
> - Still inside dropbox, if you press Enter, what you have at the
> command-line is immediately executed.

All these never bother me, but you are right.

> To compress above points, my shameless suggestion would be (more less
> consistent with Notebook completions):
> - Escape should close dropbox
> - Typing while dropbox is open should just filter available completions,
> instead close dropbox
> - Simply navigating through dropbox should not automatically change my
> command-line unless I press Tab on selected item (Enter should do the same
> too, instead execution)

Do you want to open issue for each of these, we can try to improve
that during beta.

> On a side note, I guess it is expected that current jupyter cant launch this
> ipython console nor qtconsole.
>

> Cheers

Yes this has been reported, we missed that because of the weird
configuration the developers have.

Thanks for your feedback.