[IPython-dev] IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:27:12 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Matthias Bussonnier
<bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM, klo uo <klonuo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> - When I invoke completion, dropbox shows modestly with 5 items. Is it
>> possible to set number of items shown to preferred value?
>
> yes:
> c.TerminalInteractiveShell.space_for_menu=<int>

I'm finding that the dropbox is less useful to me than the the
previous IPython behavior that gives me a pageful of options.  For
example, I often find myself searching through the methods and
attributes of an object for something that looks useful, and there are
often 20 or so methods / attributes on an object, so it is useful to
do:

import numpy as np
np.<tab>

and get the whole page of possible completions, with multiple columns.
   On the other hand a dropbox of that length is harder to grok.   Is
it possible to get the multiple column completion list instead of the
dropbox?

See you,

Matthew