[IPython-dev] IPython 5.0.0 beta 1 now available !

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:57:03 EDT 2016

Hi Matthew and Aaron,

In IPython you can use the following:

(rootenv)~/dev/ipython master$ ipython
--TerminalInteractiveShell.display_completions_in_columns=True
--no-banner

In [1]: import a<tab>
                 abc                alabaster          appnope
   argparse           ast                asynchat           atexit
                 aem                anaconda_navigator appscript
   array              astroid            asyncio            audioop
                 aifc               antigravity        argcomplete
   arrow              astropy            asyncore           autoreload

Not that the completion is still technically in a dropdown anchored
close to the cursor, so does not take the real full width of the
terminal especially if the current line is long.
We’ll try to improve that.

The Ctrl-L shortcut seem to be a prompt_toolkit default as I seem to
be able to use it in IPython as well, though I need to focus the
completer by pressing tab first.

Hope that helps.

--
Matthias