[IPython-dev] [promotional] ghournal - a commandline based blog-engine for gh-pages

Ganesh Prasad sir.gnsp at gmail.com
Thu May 5 11:20:14 EDT 2016

***DISCLAIMER***

*This is a self promotional message and quite unrelated to IPython and
development in python in general. But I believe, it's something that makes
lives of developers easier, in fact I built it to make my life easier. Now,
as an OpenSource activity it needs some promotion to attract users and
contributors alike. *

*Also, I am not good at writing promotional messages, so this mail might
look really messy. Hence, apologies in advance.*

git is the lifeline of most of the OpenSource activities around the globe.
We all write code, create projects on github and push our changes to the
repo and blah blah blah... That's what we all do, git add | commit | merge
| push are probably the most used commands on a developer's console, the
command pattern is muscle memory.

Now with the introduction of github-pages it has been possible to host
static websites for your projects on github, most of the serious projects
on github already have their static websites there.

Sometimes we want to maintain blogs for our projects on the project
website. But github-pages being a static platform does not provide backend
scripting or database capabilities. So, conventional blogging (like on
blogger/wordpress) is not natively possible on github-pages. Sometimes we
wish that blogging was possible and conveniently easy to use on
github-pages.

Also, some of us (like me for instance) sometimes think like, "life would
have been easier if blogging was as simple as git init..git commit...git
push, maybe something like blog init... blog new... blog publish".

*ghournal <https://www.npmjs.com/package/ghournal>* as a tool designed for
users of git, makes these above wishes come true. It is a command line
based blog management tool for static web hosts,  targeted primarily
towards the github-pages platform.

*ghournal  <https://www.npmjs.com/package/ghournal> *exposes a git like
command structure for blogging from the terminal. Creating a blog is as
easy as 'ghournal init', adding a new post is as simple as 'ghournal new
<postID>'  etc. The complete command structure is documented in the project
README.

*ghournal <https://www.npmjs.com/package/ghournal>* is written in
javascript and is available on npm. Hence installing and using it can not
me easier.

In short, it is designed to make the lives of developers who want to blog
about their projects easier.

So, if this sounds cool, please have a look at
https://www.npmjs.com/package/ghournal  and thanks :)

sincerely
Ganesh Prasad