[IPython-dev] [jupyter] Re: IPython 7.0.0b1 released on PyPI. Thanks Paul !

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 04:22:19 EDT 2018

> Wow, async is big!

Just 2 years in the making no big deal :-) Don't look at the code we're
doing some crazy things.

> Has then been tested with magic cells that call into or embed other
languages, like Cython, R, f2py, Julia?

No, not tested, but in general nothing working before _should_ break – but
hey, that's why we do a beta.
Remember that magics are "just" some function call:
get_ipython().magic(magic_name, first_line, rest_of_cell)

There are some limitation:
 - If the magic embeds sync code, there should be no issues.
 - If the magics embeds async code or exec() things, or call-back into
IPython it may break.

In most case magics will be blocking, that is to say they'll take over the
event loop like any other sync-functions. We haven't fleshed out if we want
"async magics". We'll likely go with "all magics are async", and just
happen to block sometimes.

For example %%timeit with `await function()`  does not work, and will raise
a RuntimeError, but classical `%%timeit` with sync function should work.

>  I would suggest producing a better error message if IPython 7 is run
> with prompt-toolkit 1. Right now, it gives `ImportError: No module
> named 'prompt_toolkit.formatted_text'`

Hum, make some sens, but we generally don't do that for other libraries if
we're incompatible. If someone want to send a Pull-Request, that's an easy
first time contribution.

> Also, the SymPy tests all still pass with IPython 7, so everything is
> good there.

Awesome ! Thanks for testing !
--
Matthias