[IPython-dev] [ANN] Release of IPython 7.0 – you've awaited long enough

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:43:16 EDT 2018

Hi all,

It is my pleasure to announce the release of IPython 7.0 and IPykernel 5.0.
The conda forge builder are working hard, and until things are published on
conda forge, you can try it using pip.

 $ pip install ipython ipykernel --upgrade.

(Some Conda forge recipe are failing we'd appreciate help debugging, and
updating BTW).

You can read more on the announce blog post that describe the new
async-await top level feature:

https://blog.jupyter.org/ipython-7-0-async-repl-a35ce050f7f7

We've also enabling anyone to tag/untag and close any issue on the IPython
repository to foster participation and making it easier to find how to
help. See this pull request[1] and look in the contributing.md TL;DR: you
can mention a bot, and the bot will tag/close issue for you for you. E.g:

  @meeseeksdev tag windows, async/await

And both tag will be applied.

With this and the new release, there will likely be a number of tiny bugs
and pull-request you can help with during hacktoberfest[2], like updating
IPython.org, wikipedia with the latest release number and new features...
etc.

Much love from the IPython team, and enjoy this new release. Let us know if
there are any questions or concerns.
--
Matthias

1: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/11326