[IPython-dev] ipython 7.7.0 install issues

John Dey john at fuzzdog.com
Mon Aug 12 15:26:47 EDT 2019

Thanks for your comment about GenUtils it was very helpful. I thought I was
not following some new build model correctly. I have added genutils back
into my build and that has fixed (most) of my issues. The big split does
not seem to be fully implemented yet.

If you are curious; this is how I am building Python. I am using EasyBuild
to create a custom Python built that contains modules that users at our
site have requested. EasyBuild is not as easy as it sounds, but neither is
making science reproducible. Our Python build is heavily focused on genomic
genetics tools. What is EasyBuild?
https://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Introduction.html
This is my recipe for building 3.7.4:
https://github.com/FredHutch/easybuild-life-sciences/blob/a0890cfb71bae7f082325799b70513da2cdf661e/fh_easyconfigs/p/Python/Python-3.7.4-foss-2016b-fh1.eb

Please don't ask me why we do not use Conda. Notice that my recipe contains
paths to all the dependencies that are not part of Python. This build
process is completely separate from the system libraries. This recipe can
be built on many different Linuxes.
I have written two tools for documenting/maintaining Python builds:
EasyUpdate and EasyAnnotate. EasyUpdate queries Pypi for module version
updates. https://github.com/fizwit/easy_update.
<https://github.com/fizwit/easy_update>

The Scientific Software Inventory I am trying to maintain:
https://fredhutch.github.io/easybuild-life-sciences/

thanks for the help,

John Dey
john at fuzzdog.com