[IronPython] Newbie question...

ender ender at objectrealms.net
Sat Aug 14 08:04:39 CEST 2004

On Aug 13, 2004, at 4:05 PM, Andy Akins wrote:

> If this is answered elsewhere (like an FAQ or Archive) point the
> direction and I'll go look it up:). I'm new to Mono/.NET/CLI.
>
> I've installed Mono and IronPython on my iBook - I can fire up the
> interpreter and do simple Python statements. Very cool! My question is
> - since I also have an installed copy of Python 2.3, is there a way to
> access the Standard Python Libraries? On the webpage it mentions that
> IronPython does not come with these, but you can install them
> yourself. How is this done?

you would need to copy them from a cpython installation/source, and you
wouldn't be able to use any of the ones coded in c, or those that are
dependent on ones coded in c... unless there are ironpython
replacements for those modules coded in c.

a nice list of modules written in c, is here.
http://codespeak.net/pypy/index.cgi?doc/cmodules.html

if your interest is just using .net from cpython, another project (
http://zope.org/Members/Brian/PythonNet ) might be more suitable.
while, it doesn't run so well under mono (though it will compile) due
to various bugs in mono, its works well with MS .NET implementation and
i have some systems running it in production.