[IronPython] Two questions...

Peter Drayton pdrayton at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 16 04:56:19 CEST 2004

1. For .NET on Windows, one uses IronPythonConsole.exe scriptname.py to
execute a script. In case you're curious, __main__.exe is an artifact of
the static compilation feature that is only partially implemented for
now. I've not tried on Mono, but since IronPythonConsole.exe is itself a
managed app, you might try "mono IronPythonConsole.exe scriptname.py".

2. You are correct that compilers /for/ .NET do not have to be written
/in/ .NET. Examples of this include the MS C#, VB & MC++ compilers - all
written in unmanaged code. However, for languages like Python and
JavaScript with dynamic features such as eval, one needs access to a
compiler at runtime. While this could be done with an unmanaged compiler
linked in via IJW, P/Invoke, etc. it's often easier (and sometime
better) to have the compiler itself be managed code. IronPython is one
example of this, another is the JScript.NET compiler included in Rotor.

--Peter