[IronPython] Fun with the CLR debugger!

Thane thane at magna-capital.com
Wed Aug 18 01:36:28 CEST 2004

One of the things I love about IronPython is the ability to use
off-the-shelf CLR debugging tools on Python source code.

See http://ironpython.com/misc/CLR-Python-Debugger-Thane.jpg

Here's how to replicate this:

1.	Find the CLR debugger (MS had stashed this away for some reason).
On my system it's in: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\SDK\v1.1\GuiDebug\DbgCLR.exe"
2.	Select "Program to Debug." from the "Debug" menu item.
3.	Type "IronPythonConsole.exe" in the "Program" field (you can browse
for it).
4.	Input your IronPython directory in the "Working directory" field.
Note: this could be the directory of your source code, but I'm keeping
everything in the same directory so that it doesn't interfere with CPython.
Otherwise just make sure that your environment variables allow
IronPythonConsole.exe to be seen from this directory.
5.	Enter the Python source filename in the "Arguments" field.

Now you can add break points, step-through, etc.

Enjoy!

--Thane

Thane Plummer, Ph.D.

CEO Magna Capital, LLC