[IronPython] IP 1.0 timeframe?

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Fri Oct 15 07:02:42 CEST 2004

AsmL2 -- http://research.microsoft.com/fse/asml/

My only complaint with AsmL so far is the fact that it isn't separated
from C# in the IDE.

Excerpt:

"""
AsmL is the Abstract State Machine Language. It is an executable
specification language based on the theory of Abstract State Machines.
The current version, AsmL 2 (AsmL for Microsoft .NET), is embedded into
Microsoft Word and Microsoft Visual Studio.NET. It uses XML and Word for
literate specifications. It is fully interoperable with other .NET
languages. AsmL generates .NET assemblies which can either be executed
from the command line, linked with other .NET assemblies, or packaged as
COM components.

What is it good for?
AsmL is useful in any situation where you need a precise, non-ambiguous
way to specify a computer system, either software or hardware. AsmL
specifications are an ideal way for teams to communicate design
decisions. Program managers, developers, and testers can all use an AsmL
specification to achieve a single, unified understanding.

One of the greatest benefits of an AsmL specification is that you can
execute it. That means it is useful before you commit yourself to coding
the entire system. By exploring your design, you can answer the
following questions:

Does it do everything you intended it to?
How do the features interact?
Are there any unintended behaviors?
"""

-----