[IronPython] Re: MSH vs IronPython

Lloyd Dupont ld at galador.net
Wed Sep 29 23:33:59 CEST 2004

> I find your "review" somewhat misleading (the it doesn't work bit?) :)
my "review" is really just a half an hour first imprssion before going to
bed.
furthermore, many things are really cool.
I even stated (just as briefly) that you could easily browse registry, file
system, environment, and that's cool.

however it is stated in the GettingStarted.rtf
"
You can also call the constructor for a .NET type or bind to a
ActiveXObject:

MSH> $d= new-object System.DateTime 2004 12 1

"
and I was frustrated that new-object get me:
'new-object' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program or
script file.

and a 'get-command' (cool tool to get..... the list of available command)
gives me only 'new-item' as potential candidate, but it was not the one!

aynyway it's very much a  beta product, as they said in the GettingStarted:
"
The MSH language is partially implemented at this time; the following
constructs may be used from the command line:

"

however what work seems to work well, don't get me wrong!

> MSH isn't really intended to be a script based application development
> environment for developing object oriented applications - it really is
> an administrative scripting tool that provides the glue that connects
that was my impression too.
you could "dir" (get-childitem) the environment, the file system, the
regisry in a consistent manner, you almost believe they are same kind of
object

> IronPython addresses a different market - one more geared to take
I think too... more and more..

> advantage of its shell, concise yet elegant object oriented language,
> and ability to easily reuse non-binary code - in order to create
> somewhat more traditional executables and libraries.
>
> I'm blown away by MSH's object pipeline, composable architecture and
> simple mechanism for command discovery - but dismayed by its $#*!
> syntax.
me too... and -lt 1 2 too.... but you could use 1<2 too :)
and after half an hour yesterday, in the end, it becomes to be less alien.

OK, time to go to work now, bye...