[IronPython] Zope/Plone on IronPython?

Timothy Fitz firemoth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:33:37 CEST 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 3:50 AM, Nicolas Lehuen <nicolas.lehuen at gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, this module list is far from exhaustive... There are many others,
> not speaking about the dependencies on core python modules (for
> example, the medusa async I/O HTTP Server)  which are not implemented
> yet. And Plone adds another layer of dependencies on native code and
> Python modules.

It would not be much work to get WSGI working ontop of IronPython
(Ontop of whatever, in this instance ASP.NET) which would handle most
of the request hassles, and probably cut out a large portion of C
code.

However, that still won't bring us anywhere near running Zope on
IronPython. A better route might be to take these C modules and write
thin managed C++ wrappers around them.

And while we're talking about improbabilities, pyds are just dlls on
windows, and the DllImport attribute (horribly named for fonts like
mine where l and I are the same) allows easy C calls from .NET.
Unfortunately the C code will depend on CPython internals and
structure, making it a beast to call from managed code, it's still
theoretically possible to write python wrappers that could make it all
work.

> I guess I'd be faster are more beneficial to build a new CMS from
> scratch rather than port Zope / Plone.

You're probably right; however, there is no need to start from
scratch. Zope has many many components, such as the templating systems
(pick any two) that could be useful.