[IronPython] Questions for FAQ or User Guide

Timothy Fitz firemoth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 19:02:55 CEST 2005

On 4/21/05, Keith J. Farmer <kfarmer at thuban.org> wrote:
> Nonetheless, it does present some basis from which to start.
>
> I also suspect, specifically regarding the Starkiller paper, that some
> of the problems aren't all that relevent.  For example, dynamic method
> creation: is that something that is going to be exposed outside of
> IronPython?  If not, then do we need to worry about it?  If so, such as
> a callback defined through some hosted scripting environment, then
> perhaps we say that callbacks must be unambiguous about their type.  I'm
> willing to suggest that all such reference types must be strongly typed.
> Strings, numbers, and other primitives should be fairly simple
> otherwise.

Sure, you could do that and gain performance; however, python favors
simplicity over such a solution. Very specifically IronPython is meant
to implement Python and not change the language. So basically
IronPython is not going to do this. If you take this philosophy and
apply it to python as a hole, you end up with a type inferenced
python; you end up with something like Boo. So while IronPython isn't
going to implement this, there exist an easy avenue to do what you're
asking for. So I'd suggest you give Boo a look if that's what your
looking for. (Previous discussions have suggested Boo as a nice
python-like way of writing statically typed code instead of C#, and
then have python call out to that instead)