[IronPython] Re: Re: Nice speed

Garth T Kidd garthk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:15:46 CEST 2005

Okay, I've switched my subscription to my posting address so my
messages don't get queued. :)

What I said was: given that we're comparing different environments,
[using 'time' is] only a good idea if you also run zero-loop tests so
you can subtract the startup and shutdown costs. I get where Travis is
trying to head on measuring CPU time rather than wall-clock time.

To be *really* careful, of course, one should run a number of tests at
different orders of magnitude to see whether you have algorithmic
scalability problems. Also, it's probably not going to matter whether
you try and measure CPU time or wall time in Python or out of it as
long as you publish your tests and raw data and gathering and publish
any comments pointing out problems, variations on other platforms,
etc.

Regards,
Garth.