[IronPython] Saving sys.path

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Wed Apr 27 23:50:42 CEST 2005

I agree that the env vars and the .pth present a migration path -- and that's a good thing I don't intend to disagree with.

Freezing of modules:  funny you should mention that.  I recall a somewhat undermentioned feature of assemblies being composable from several seperate files, referred to as modules.  That's beyond my experience, as well, and I imagine depends greatly on how Jim and Martin construct the assembly to begin with.

Site-Packages:  Global Assembly Cache, I think.  When you install J#, it installs J# framework assemblies in such a way that they're accessible from C#.  The same I think should be done here.  I can see a tool being created to convert a stock Python package into IL and importing it into the GAC.  It's a difference in installation, that makes it appropriate for the new platform.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be head-down in some gruesome Java, which is neither Python nor .NET, so I should shut up for a while and let the sub-Guidos speak.