[IronPython] IronPython 0.9 released

Martin Maly martmaly at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Aug 2 19:20:07 CEST 2005

Hello IronPython community,

it has been exactly seven weeks since the last IronPython release - 0.7.6. Back then we announced that the next release would take longer than our usual two weeks, it would include some larger-scale changes, and it would be version 0.8.

The work did take couple weeks more than we expected and as OsCon approached, we decided to wait one extra week and announce our release at OsCon (as Keith correctly guessed). Additionally, once the changes were finished, we realized that given the extent of the changes, it was more appropriate to call the release a 0.9.

So, what's new in IronPython 0.9?

* The implementation of subclassing .Net classes and method overriding.
* Improved overloaded method resolution.
* Much better COM interop support
* IronPython test suite is now part of the release (see below on the usage)
* New example is included - Embedding IronPython
* Multi-line import statement support: from x import ( ..., ... )
* Very simple support for tab-completion in the console window
* Bug fixes

There are many people who contributed to this release by providing feedback, reporting bugs and making valuable suggestions. Thank you very much:

Jonathan Jacobs, Keith J. Farmer, Anthony Tarlano, Miguel de Icaza, Nicholas Jacobson, Luis M. Gonzalez,
Michael Taylor, Ken Manheimer, Mike Hostetler, Morgan Martinet, David Wilson, J. Merrill, Richard Hsu,
Niki Spahiev, xtian, Flexibal, grizlupo, Koly, perhaps.

Few more notes:

Test suite:
The test suite resides in the Scripts\Tests folder and the easiest way to run the whole suite is to execute:
bin\IronPythonConsole.exe Scripts\TestAll.py
Executing individual test scripts also works:
IronPythonConsole.exe Scripts\Tests\Assert.py
Note that to run the tests, you need to build IronPythonTest.dll in the IronPythonTest folder.

Improved console:
The new console is turned off by default. To try it out, run IronPythonConsole with the command line parameter:
"-X:TabCompletion". The parameter is case sensitive. The implementation is very simple for now.

Known issues:
The Community Technology Preview release of Visual Studio and .NET 2.0, version 2.0.50630.0. contains a change which is not compatible with IronPython built on .NET 2.0 Beta 2. The symptom is an exception:
System.MissingFieldException: Field not found: 'System.Collections.Generic.KeyValuePair`2.Key'.
The Key field on the KeyValuePair class became a property in the CTP release. Rebuilding IronPython on the Community Technology Preview release, version 2.0.50630.0 will fix the problem. We decided to maintain the dependency of the released binaries on .NET 2.0 Beta 2 (version 2.0.50215.44) because we believe the Beta 2 release is more widely adopted.

That is all for today, from the OsCon conference in Portland, OR

Thank you and keep in touch
The IronPython team

http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/ironpython <http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/ironpython>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cf5ae627-5df1-4f8a-ba8b-d64f0676f43f&displaylang=en