[IronPython] Iron Python Library Usage

Ray Djajadinata rayfd_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 07:50:56 CEST 2005

Hello,

I wanted to say how great it is to hear about Iron
Python because that means I can develop for .NET in my
favourite language, just like I can write Java program
in it as well, but... let me just ask my question :)

I found that in Iron Python 0.9, a lot of modules that
we've come to expect to see are not implemented
yet--which is OK cos we've already got the whole .NET
library already.

But my question is, how is Iron Python meant to be
used eventually? Is it:

a. like Visual J++ for Java programmers, so you're
using the familiar Java syntax to make use of .NET
library? (e.g.: to do some string operations, we
should use .NET String instead of importing the string
module)

b. meant to give the programmer an ability to run
their (C)Python scripts unmodified on .NET? That is,
if you want to do some string stuff, import string
(which may be implemented using .NET String
underneath), instead of importing System to make use
of .NET's String?

Even if right now we have to do with a mix of both
approaches, surely there's a vision behind this that
will favor one of them eventually?

Thank you,
Ray