[IronPython] bug: list.index broken in transition from ip 0.9.5 to ip 0.9.6

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Dec 12 18:11:00 CET 2005

Thanks for the bug reports - these are related to one of our changes to separate Python equality from CLR equality.  The "in" bug is the same issue as this bug just in a different spot.

Both of these changes are related to a fix to address how to treat python equality & hashing versus CLR equality & hashing.  Because Python frequently uses value equality (rather than reference equality) and allows types to throw from __hash__ and CLR types can't throw from GetHashCode() we had to separate the two.  Obviously I missed a few spots in the implementation where we are still calling the CLR's equals instead of python's (in this case we're actually calling Array.IndexOf).

The destabilization you're seeing now is our push to get all of these risky changes out of the way now before we switch to the beta releases.  Sorry for the inconvenience but hopefully this will result in a better 1.0 all around.