[IronPython] Comparing enum to None

William Reade william at resolversystems.com
Wed Dec 21 15:01:00 CET 2005

Hi, we have a bug report. The following code:

import sys
sys.LoadAssemblyByName("System.Windows.Forms")
from System.Windows.Forms import *

if 1 == None:
    print "won't happen"

if DialogResult.Cancel == None: # boom!
    print "won't happen"

...raises a NullReferenceException, as follows, at the marked line.

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
set to
an instance of an object.
   at IronPython.Objects.EnumOps.Equal(Object self, Object other)
   at IronPython.Objects.Ops.Equal(Object x, Object y)
   at __main__.Initialize() in H:\dev\current\sandbox\testenumnone.py:line 8

We feel the expression should just evaluate to False.

Incidentally, should we be bothering the list with these things, or
should we put them directly into the bug tracker?

Cheers
William