[IronPython] mono and word automation

kbond at free.fr kbond at free.fr
Thu Jul 14 12:18:23 CEST 2005

Hello,

I facing some difficulties that remember me java in worth. :-)  The good thing
with the jvm is that you right it once and you can use you program everywhere,
this is amazing but the obscure side of this force is that this is true only if
you are using the same level of the JVM.
I am started to be addict at ironpython which is for me an easy the best way to
prototype on the .Net plateform.Congratulation to all the people making that
happen. My problem is the following: I working with an application that
required  .Net V1.1 python required .Net V2 so I give mono a try since I read
that is was supporting ironpython.
The result is the following:
I can run basic ironpython operation but I was interested by the office
automation and it seems that mono does not support it.(see below)

C:\Program Files\Mono-1.1.8\bin>mono E:\users\src_Install\IronPython\IronPython-
0.7.6\bin\IronPythonConsole.exe
IronPython 0.7.6 on .NET 2.0.50215.16
>>> import sys
>>> sys.LoadAssemblyByName("Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word")

** (E:\users\src_Install\IronPython\IronPython-0.7.6\bin\IronPythonConsole.exe:6
36): WARNING **: The class System.StringSplitOptions could not be loaded, used i
n E:\users\src_Install\IronPython\IronPython-0.7.6\bin\IronPython.dll (token 0x0
1000083)

** (E:\users\src_Install\IronPython\IronPython-0.7.6\bin\IronPythonConsole.exe:6
36): WARNING **: Missing method Split in assembly E:\users\src_Install\IronPytho
n\IronPython-0.7.6\bin\IronPython.dll, type String

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to
an instance of an object
in <0x00000> <unknown method>
in <0x000ab> IronPython.Hosting.PythonEngine:RunInteractive ()
in <0x00065> IronPythonConsole.PythonCommandLine:RunInteractive (IronPython.Host
ing.PythonEngine engine)
in <0x000a5> IronPythonConsole.PythonCommandLine:Main (System.String[] rawArgs)

C:\Program Files\Mono-1.1.8\bin>

My questions are the following:
Does someone has a trick to run both .net V1.1 and V2 ?
Does mono intend to support office automation?

Thank you for your help.