[IronPython] Plans for overloads?

David Wilson dw at botanicus.net
Wed Jul 20 22:26:34 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:14:13AM -0700, Keith J. Farmer wrote:

> I don't think it matters.. CPython doesn't understand List[int][0] =
> 1, anyway.  We're purely within the .NET realm with this, I think.

Nope.

Using a semicolon would cause the expression to be syntactically
invalid, whereas using a pipe would make it an OR expression, which
CPython could parse and compile, but it would still be unable to
execute.

This means you can encapsulate FePy-specific functionality in classes or
functions that never get called from CPython, and provide alternative
functionality wrapped in a separate function or class, for when the
module is running on CPython.

    http://python.tcpd.net/doc/2.4.1/ref/bitwise.html

In CPython, your example expression could even still be executed, f.e.
if List were a mapping, that contained a <type 'int'> key, whos value
was a list containing at least one item.

HTH,

David.

PS: Apologies for the message not making it to the list, my original
e-mail address change request seems to have been eaten by Mailman.

--
Now that my house has burned down I have a much better view of the moon.