[IronPython] IronPython future plans

Martin Maly martmaly at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Jun 14 21:59:51 CEST 2005

Hello IronPython community

Now that we have shipped the 0.7.6 release of IronPython we want to
share our plans for the future releases, how we get from here to the 0.8
release.

There are two areas in which we want to make broader changes between now
and 0.8. They both relate to the way IronPython relates to the rest of
the .Net world. These areas are:

1) Inheritance and method overriding
2) Overloaded method resolution and type conversions

The inheritance and method overriding changes will enable inheriting
Python classes from any .Net classes (including built-in classes such as
list, tuple, int, str ...) and will also address how .Net and Python
paradigms exist and work together. For example .Net constructors and
Python __init__ methods, .Net ToString() and Python __str__ method or
.Net finalizers/destructors and Python's __del__ method.

The overloaded method resolution and type conversions are closely
related. Together they will address how IronPython determines what
method is the best match for the given parameter list. Current
implementation fails to find the correct match in some cases, which
results in calling the method that is not the best match, or in failing
the call altogether.

The completion of these major changes will mark the 0.8 milestone. We do
believe that 0.8 will be the next release following the 0.7.6, barring
any unexpected surprises during the course of the work. Our current best
estimate is to make the 0.8 available in early July 2005.

The big work items between 0.8 and 1.0 will be: Python completeness,
Python 2.4 compatibility, running Python regression test suite, optional
static compilation and general finishing touches.

Thanks and keep in touch
The IronPython team