[IronPython] Ironpython 0.7 released!

J. Merrill jvm_cop at spamcop.net
Fri Mar 25 17:33:21 CET 2005

(Sorry if you get this twice, Jim.  Perhaps you should change the list setup so that "reply-to" is to the list, not just to the sender of the message.)

At 09:59 PM 3/24/2005, Jim Hugunin wrote (in part)
>Are there any problems that you have with the terms of the IronPython
>license, or is it just the lack of the OSI stamp?  I think the terms of
>the license are both clear and quite open.

Here's a sentence from the FAQ concerning patents:  [quote] This license grants you a patent license to use and distribute the Software under any Microsoft patent claims that read on the Software itself. [end quote].

I had never before seen the phase "that read on" in my native language (English), but it appears multiple times in the license, and in a relatively small number of other discussions of licensing I've found on the net -- google for
     "patents that read on" OR "patent claims that read on"

Can someone explain what it means, in English that non-lawyers might understand?  (I also posted this question as feedback on Jason Matusow's blog.)

J. Merrill / Analytical Software Corp