[IronPython] Passport (was: Ironpython 0.7 released!)

J. Merrill jvm_cop at spamcop.net
Mon Mar 28 23:24:37 CEST 2005

At 11:35 AM 3/28/2005, Jim Hugunin wrote (in part)
>Do you have a technical reason that you don't want to/can't get a passport to file bugs?

My impression is that Passport behavior when you want to have more than one of them is a problem, because -- in order to avoid having you constantly enter Passport info -- various things try to pass your Passport identity invisibly to other things.

I have a Passport to identify myself to the MSDN site; I would not have one otherwise.  I would want to have a different Passport for other things (like using GDN), and it's hard to make that happen reliably because one can be "signed in" with a particular Passport without knowing it, and without having an obvious way to "sign off".

That's not horrible, in this case, but it is annoying.  The people who think that we all want to have a single "identity" on the net and do everything "as" that identity are not considering the privacy implications of having everything you do be associated with a single identity.

I certainly want to have at least two identities -- work and personal -- and actually want to have numerous ones in each of those contexts.

P.S.  Jim, please consider changing the behavior of the list so the default Reply-To: is the list and not the sender of the message to which you're replying.  You almost were the only recipient of this message!

J. Merrill / Analytical Software Corp