[IronPython] Ironpython 0.7 released!

Andreas Kotes count-ironpython at flatline.de
Tue Mar 29 01:56:11 CEST 2005

Hello again,

* Jonathan LaCour <jonathan-lists at cleverdevil.org> [20050329 00:39]:
> So, to review my pie-in-the-sky wishes to guarantee IronPython success:
>   1. Switch to a similar, but respected license.
>       - Bonus points for picking the same license as mono.
>   2. Ditch the gotdotnet forums.  Make the mailing list "the way".
>   3. Don't require a passport to file bugs.
>   4. Have a public SVN or CVS repository.
>   5. Be open to accepting external patches.
>   6. Have at least one other "committer" (to help lighten the load on you).
>       - Bonus points if this person is outside Microsoft.
>       - Extra bonus points if this person is a respected Mono hacker.
>
> Items 1, 3, and 5 are non-negotiable to me.  If you don't do these at least, I
> guarantee that the project will stagnate, and something like Boo will become
> more widely accepted (especially by Open Source types).
>
> Anyway. I don't want to criticize you too much, as I think IronPython is a great
> piece of work.  I would just hate to see such a great opportunity be missed!

I could not agree more. Anything less will make IronPython 'nice', but
nothing more - at least not until Microsoft pushes it heavily, then it
will be another nice, forced, and despised steal by Microsoft.

sorry for being this candid, but I think this needs to be clear.

Regards,

   Count

--
Andreas Kotes - PGP 0x8F94C228 - The views expressed herein are (only) mine!
All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability.