[IronPython] config files vs. env vars and site.py

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Thu May 5 00:19:55 CEST 2005

I'm not all that worried about short-term -- C# is a very lovely language, and I'm holding out hopes to see C-omega either released or folded into C#.  I've waited a couple years for generics, and I'll wait a couple years for sql, xml, and object streams as first-class constructs.  I'm perfectly happy enough to wait for what are other more interesting milestones.

But in the end, of course, is my compelling story:

Python as a first-class language in .NET, suitable for mixed-language development in a variety of projects including ASP.NET.

This means, in my opinion, adherence to the established .NET way, which by default includes using .config files rather than using environment variables.  Even if the .config contains mere pointers to env vars or the pathname of the site.py file, that's a plus.  Acting alongside of environment variables (perhaps as an override) would be appropriate and provide the migration path mentioned earlier.  .config files are directly supported in the API, are basically expected by the rest of the .NET crowd, and the applications that use then have a richer set of tools for managing them.

IronPython has been a great accomplishment, even in it's incomplete form (and put that ActiveState paper to shame).  I'd hate to see Python's progress as a language into .NET-land be limited because of an implementation detail of the C-based interpreter.  It doesn't have anything to do with the language, so has just that much less weight in persuading my opinion.

Heck, if I had the time, I'd try my hand at it myself and feed it back to you (rights signed away, etc).  It's just something I think would make IronPython much more compelling for those not already familiar with CPython.