[IronPython] Double-Import Bug

Jim Hugunin jimhug at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed May 18 17:47:23 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On May 17, 2005, at 10:42 PM, Curt Hagenlocher wrote:
>
> >> Is this bug known?
> >> That is, if a module fails to import, a second attempt to import
does
> >> not throw an exception. I think this is because
> >> Importer.LoadFromSource puts the module into sys.modules before
> >> calling the import function, but does not remove it if the import
> >> function fails.
> >>

> > I believe that this behavior is consistent with that of CPython.
>
> Consistent with CPython < 2.4.  The behavior has changed.

Thanks for the report and the version clarification.  This wasn't a
known bug but it is now.  IronPython was mostly written before CPython
2.4 came out.  We're currently going through the regression tests from
CPython 2.3 so that we can improve correctness before we take the time
to implement new 2.4 features.  Before we release IronPython 1.0 we plan
to be running the regression tests for 2.4 if not 2.5.

Thanks - Jim