[IronPython] Trouble building 0.7.5

Jim Hugunin jimhug at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed May 18 22:10:42 CEST 2005

IronPython-0.7.5 requires .NET 2.0 beta 2 (or later).  I'm sorry that we didn't catch this sooner and at the very least made this prominent in the release notes.  We should also modify the config file so that a nice error will be produced if you try to run on an earlier version.  I suspect your error is the compile-time equivalent of the other bugs reported running 0.7.5 on 2.0 beta 1.

This change was accidental and not a deliberate attempt to force people to upgrade; nevertheless, at this stage of the project I suspect that more of this sort of thing will happen from time to time.  That's part of the price of 0.7.x software.  We'll try to at least give you better warning in the future.

If you're running on Windows, I STRONGLY encourage you to upgrade to .NET 2.0 beta 2.  A ton of bugs have been fixed and this is a much higher quality release as we get closer to RTM.  If you're running on a different CLI implementation I'd like to know if there were things that you could do with 0.7.4 that were broken by 0.7.5.  I can't promise a quick fix, but I'd like to at least investigate any issues to see if there's something we could do.

Thanks - Jim