[IronPython] importing os module

J. Merrill jvm_cop at spamcop.net
Tue Nov 1 21:02:03 CET 2005

Others know more than I do, but writing a CPython module in C interacts very significantly with mechanisms that are internal to the Python interpreter, and needs to be involved with the reference-counting mechanism that's the basis of CPython's garbage collector (when IronPython uses the .Net collector and doesn't use reference counting).  Also, a CPython C-coded module manipulates data structures that actually ARE the internal data structures of the interpreter.  The IronPython interpreter shares none of those structures.

There are also the usual .Net-notions that C is inherently unsafe and it would be much better if you could build IronPython apps in "100% managed code" (not yet possible IINM).

Hopefully if I've said something wrong, someone who knows more will holler.

At 12:08 PM 11/1/2005, Michael Gogins wrote
>Why does it not play with C? Surely this would be immensely helpful.
>
>Regards,
>MIke

J. Merrill / Analytical Software Corp