[IronPython] How to do debugging for embedded usage

Martin Maly Martin.Maly at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 2 15:58:30 CET 2005

It largely depends on how your Python scripts are written. If you use following format:

engine.Execute("print "Hello")

debugging is hard because IronPython has no source code to map debugging info to.
On the other hand, if you have your scripts stored in the files and execute them via:

engine.RunFile(fileName);

then IronPython generates debug info and debugging is straightforward - attach debugger to your app and place breakpoint into the Python source file and things mostly work as you'd expect. There are some rough edges to be polished, but debugging this way is quite good already.

Hope this helps
Martin