[IronPython] Interactive WinFX design with IronPython

Michael Stokesbary breaman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 06:15:39 CET 2005

Hey all -
 I was just wondering if anyone got the chance to see Jim's PDC 05
presentation dealing with the .NET CLR and dynamic languages. In the
presentation, he was able to interactively create a WinFX window and add
components to it on the fly. I have tried doing this myself only to run in
to issues. I do the following:
 w = System.Windows.Window()
w.Show()
 And after doing this, the window does appear, but it seems to be in a
blocking state. Then as I add components to it, nothing gets rendered. In
Jim's presentation, he was able to call w.Show(), then add a button, then
resize the window and just modify it on the fly. Has anyone else been able
to do something like this? I am using IronPython 0.9.4 on the .NET framework
version 2.0.50215.322 and the September release of WinFX. Yes, I can create
the whole window and add all the components and then call ShowDialog() and
all works fine (the command prompt is blocked, but at least I can interact
with the window). If I just call .Show(), the command prompt is still
active, but the window is useless.
 Any ideas?
 Stokes